Tuesday, January 4, 2011

#1.} Hungarian Goulash Recipe

It's been a bit chilly here lately and nothing is more comforting on a chilly day than a wonderful bowl of soup.

Justin and I...or rather I was feeling a bit nostalgic for Hungarian food. Back in 2002-2004 we had lived in Budapest, Hungary and grew quite fond of the comfort foods available at the local restaurants by our apartment. One of our biggest regrets is not properly document the places we dined at and the incredible meals we had while we lived in Eastern Europe.

So, last night, a little visit back to Budapest via Hungarian Goulash Soup (Gulyas Leves)

hungarian goulash

In Budapest we use to go to this really big market on Fovam Ter across from our work office. They would have great fresh produce and upstairs were a bunch of places to eat. I remember we bought my parents a little sack of Hungarian Paprika... the pigment is so rich and red, nothing at all like McCormick Paprika (which is all I had for the goulash I made)

Covered Market

For breakfast we would sometimes get a bag of little pastries, my favorite being the csokis (spelling?), a little pastry somewhere between a cinnamon bun (with dark powdered chocolate) and a croissant...but bite sized and small. Mmm....food memories.

Well...enough reminiscing...more Hungarian tales to come in the future, I'm sure!

For now...here is the recipe for Hungarian Goulash from the "SOUP" by Stephen Knowleden - Practical Cookery Series. When I cooked this dish I made very many changes, which I've noted.

INGREDIENTS
1 tbsp oil
1 lb lean ground beef (I used lean stew meat)
2 onions finely chopped (I used one large onion)
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 cup water (I used 2 cups water)
14 oz can chopped tomatoes in juice
1 carrot finely chopped
8 oz red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, chopped (I used one entire red pepper and didn't roast or peel it)
1 tsp Hungarian Paprika (I had McCormick and probably put in 2 heaping tablespoons)
1/4 tsp caraway seeds
Pinch of dried oregano
4 cups beef stock (cut this in half since I did not have noodles)
2 oz tagliatelle
Salt & Pepper
Sour cream and cilantro to garnish
1 Potato (this isn't in the recipe but I like goulash with potato)

WHAT TO DO:
1.] Heat oil in saucepan over med-high heat, add beef and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Fry until slightly brown.

2.] Reduce heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook until onions soft (about 3 mins) Stir in flour, continue to cook for 1 minute.

3.] Add water. Stir in tomatoes, pepper, paprika, caraway seeds, and stock.

4.] Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 40 mins. Stir occassionaly. Cook until meat and veggies are tender.

5.] Add the noodles and simmer for 20 more mins.

6.] Taste soup, adjust seasoning if necessary (I had to add more salt). Ladle into warm bowls and top with a dollow of sour cream and garnish with cilantro.

Photo credits: Fovam Ter Market by Michelle's New Adventures in Photo.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Goulash looks as amazing as it tastes. Congratulations! :D I'd love to go to Budapest.

    www.strictlyfoodie.com

    ReplyDelete